Skype_man

Default newbie repair equipment advice!

While I love the repair industry, it's getting hard to make a
living when units are so cheap, & poor quality! No question
is dumb...how can you learn otherwise? Check these sites below,
& keep looking here, as there are a number of very knowledgeable
guys here, who can help you along the way. Google info like how
to fix T.V., etc, etc. Google is your friend. I must lie down...it's 3 am
here. Enjoy. Sky.

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/tshoot.htm

http://www.howstuffworks.com/index.htm

http://antiqueradio.org/howfix.htm

http://www.electronic-circuits-diagrams.com/

http://home.planet.nl/~heuve345/

For a beginner........

Digital multimeter and a few VOMs (do I need special probes?).....No!
Perhaps a signal generator...a sound source like a radio/cd unit with line
out.
Oscilloscope probes....basic ones that come with it are fine. No need to buy
expensive ones.
(what kind of bandwidth and sampling would be needed?) As much as you can
afford 20 mhz Minimum.
Soldering station...have a pencil, & chisel tip.
A lot of older test equip (like almost everything made), is good quality, &
really lasts.

Hope this helps you start off. Very important...be carefull around
electricity...study first, watch, &
learn from someone...if you can...then touch. Work on something, that if you
break it...it's ok.
Take care, & be safe, Sky.