Default newbie repair equipment advice!

Hi everyone.

Sorry If I am asking dumb questions, I am trying to get a leg up on
(new to me) technology in the repair field. My background is computer
programming but Tesla has been my hero since I was young if that helps
any! Currently I am reading through some books to learn this technology
area but I do not have enough knowledge yet to know what type of test
equipment I will need. So I am asking you for advice.

Questions:
=-=-=-=-=
I am hoping to learn and start repairing things like computer monitors
and work up to repairing motherboards, flat-screen monitors (LDC /
plasma and related technology), overhead projectors and maybe even
digital camcorders. -Am I being overly ambitious?

With my target being learning to repair the above types of devices,
what kind of test equipment would I need to invest in?

Please offer your advice on equipment I may be missing in my list and
also which signal generator and oscilloscope would be the best fit. Old
technology would be fine. Reliable devices I could learn to repair
myself would be ideal. I suppose parts being available for these
devices would be important as well.

Digital multimeeter and a few VOMs (do I need special probes?)
Perhaps a signal generator
Oscilloscope (which probes?) (what kind of bandwidth and sampling
would be needed?)
Soldering station

I am thinking of watching ebay and building my test bench as
inexpensively as I can preferably with reliable older equipment I can
repair or calibrate myself and learn at the same time. - Again, I am so
new to the trade as to not know if what I am saying is achievable or if
I am saying something that would make the seasoned technician laugh!