Paul Franklin

Default Dryer vent routing across basement ceiling

On 1 Nov 2005 12:30:45 -0800, "dean" wrote:

Yeah I was assuming a galvanized 4" tube, it will run about 25 feet. Do
I need some kind of animal-proof wire on the exit?

My other question is whether to drill a 4" hole in the blocks, or try
to squeeze it in through the wood that's on top of that. I know the hot
water vent and sump pipes go straight through the block.

Thanks,

Dean

25' is on the long side so you want as few elbows as possible to
minimize flow resistance. So I'd go straight through the wall if you
can rather than use two elbows to go up and out.

You may find clothes take much longer to dry because of the reduced
air flow due to long duct. If so you can add a dryer duct booster
(fantech makes one) but if you can get by without it it's one less
thing to break.

As others have said use smooth wall metal ducting and clean it often.
I like the wall caps with four or five little louvers that swing open
when the dryer is running because I think it has less resistance than
the flap type that only open partially.

HTH,

Paul