Rich256

Default Do gas has a shut-off valve inside house?

"no mail" wrote in message
Rich256 wrote:
"no mail" wrote in message
news

I did not see a shutoff valve for the fireplace in the basement when
finishing that part - it is possible that it was hid behind the
insulation over the concrete wall.

Don't you have a valve in the wall near the fireplace? Mine has one

with a
square key in the wall. Then the valve that came with the logs is in

the
fireplace and then there is another valve where the line breaks off from

the
main line in the basement.

There is no valve on the main floor, other than the one inside the
fireplace. The gas pipe from the basement go directly to the fireplace.

Maybe today's building code requires

shutoff valve for each appliance. But my house is old (5 years) and code
may be different then.

Wow! Really old. Mine is only 35. Main valve outside at the meter and
then a valve for each appliance. In Colorado.

My question is really if we can easily shutoff the gas at the outside
meter - I don't know how, but it does not use a shutoff valve there.
I just want to make sure that we can turn off gas in the house in case
of of an emergency.

Yes, there should be a shutoff valve outside. Have you looked? I

expect
there is a pressure regulator immediately in front of the meter and then
immediately in front of it will be a valve. The valve will require a

wrench
to turn. In earthquake country we kept a wrench nearby. Might not be

able
to get into a garage or house to get it!!

That must be it! It looks like there is something on that meter
assembly that require a wrench to turn, even though I don't what are all
those individual components are - there are no labels on them.

Now do you think I can find the right wrench from places like
HomeDepot/Lowes, or I have to go to a special store?

Thanks much.

Y.

Naw, if nothing else just use a cresent wrench or even a pipe wrench.
Measure it and you can determine what size box wrench would work. Some have
a hole through the part that turns. For those you can just stick a
screwdriver in it and turn.