Andy Cuffe

Default Sun (Sony?) GDM-5410 Excessive brightness

On 1 Nov 2005 13:50:29 -0800, "
wrote:

It is not a matter of what is drifting on the Sony monitors.

The use I2C control for the G2 voltage. If either the video process ic
that also does the G2 fails (which it does) or the eeprom gets
corrupted or fails (which they do), there is no way to actually
troubleshoot and fix it without the Sony DAS alignment software for the
unit.

The problem I'm talking about is a gradual increase in brightness over
a long period of time. Eventually, even at minimum brightness, black
is no longer black. Reducing the G2 voltage, either through DAS, or a
resistor change restores normal operation. I'm just wondering what is
actually drifting. Is the G2 going too high? Is something in the
video circuit drifting? Is the CRT changing in some way?

The auto adjust in a lot of the 21" monitors won't fix it for some
reason. They seem to have fixed this in the next generation of 21"
monitors which respond well to running auto adjust. The 19" ones can
always be fixed by running auto adjust. I've seen ones that were so
bright the background had retrace lines, but auto adjust brought
everything back to normal.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005