John Doe

Default The truth about OS/2!!! [ Why aren't computer clocks as accurate as cheap quartz watches?]

David Maynard wrote:

John Doe wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

What I find fascinating is the espoused notion that Microsoft, a
handful of boys with absolutely nothing, no 'business
reputation', no history of development, no demonstrated DOS, and
nothing else in the field, somehow 'took advantage' of and
'screwed' poor old IBM. What in the world do these folks think MS
used to 'force' IBM into the deal?

Maybe your recollection is about the company Microsoft bought DOS
from.

No, my 'recollection' is about the subject at hand, namely the
original IBM/Microsoft deal for DOS and the folks claiming that
Microsoft screwed IBM by retaining the rights to sell it to
non-IBM computers.

As far as I know, the major problem IBM had with Microsoft was
when Microsoft prohibited IBM from including IBM's own Lotus
SmartSuite on IBM's computers. Microsoft used Windows to force
IBM's compliance.

At least they didn't try to get a reverse royalty payment on every
prior computer made like IBM did with their MCA license.

The one you brought up raising an interesting conundrum because
you have IBM wanting it both ways. They had a competing O.S. and a
competing office suite yet while they're trying to wipe MS off the
business scene they want their competitor to give them preferred
OEM status.

I'm not sure I'd be real happy about that either.

Microsoft refused to allow IBM a license to Windows, unless IBM
dropped its bundling of Lotus SmartSuite on IBM personal computers.