John Doe

Default The truth about OS/2!!! [ Why aren't computer clocks as accurate as cheap quartz watches?]

Mxsmanic mxsmanic gmail.com wrote:

John Doe writes:

In your opinion.

Deliberately crippling a company that is successful is never a
good idea, and historically has had either no effect or a negative
effect.

True, but irrelevant. Without quoted material, you are difficult to
follow sometimes.

Still wondering where you got that idea.

As I've explained, Microsoft builds operating systems, and a suite
of office-automation applications. And that's essentially it.
Almost all its revenue comes from these two product areas
(especially the latter).

Maybe, but the argument was Microsoft's business versus other
software publishers business.

Microsoft favors its own applications developers.

No doubt, but that's what companies are supposed to do. However,
the only applications it develops are Office applications.

But seriously.

And its Office suite. Have you noticed how much a retail upgrade
version of Office costs? Microsoft gets at least $100 for its
Works suite.

Most of Microsoft's revenue comes from Office. Works is not worth
buying, and indeed MS gives it away sometimes.

You mean Microsoft bundles it with Windows.

Programmers choose the (monopoly) operating system. Consumers
choose applications (except for Office applications). There are
other monopolies, but they are minor in comparison to Windows and
Office.

So what? Who is losing here?

Unless you believe in communism, then you might understand that
monopolies can be bad for our economy. Our system thrives on
competition. Monopolies thwart competition. That's why antitrust
laws were developed.

Our competitive system works great except when the company reaches a
point where it can stifle competition. Then its business becomes
contrary to our system and might need correction.

Not the programmers writing for Windows.

That's not what programmers say.

Not the consumers using it.

I've heard different.

Not Microsoft.

Of course not. At least not until they drag everybody down.

Not the
publishers of those other 249,998 Windows applications.

You keep saying that and and then dodging the question about whether
those thousands of other programs are very meaningful profit wise.

Where is the problem, exactly?

In front of your nose.

The basis would be to spur innovation.

How much innovation do you expect when companies know that their
intellectual property will be seized and placed in the public
domain if they become too successful?

I guess that stuff depends on your definition of "too successful".
I'm talking about Microsoft Corp., the owner of Windows, the
required monopoly operating system for personal computers.

From: Mxsmanic mxsmanic gmail.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt. comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:51:50 +0100
References: fa99f.528$p37.148 newssvr17.news.prodigy.com dxb9f.36934$Bf7.35070 tornado.texas.rr.com lNd9f.552$p37.38 newssvr17.news.prodigy.com oWe9f.40054$Bf7.37679 tornado.texas.rr.com 360bm1li8v9spuh8uhv95dhi25qe0jad4v 4ax.com 11mbajursouao13 corp.supernews.com 26nbm159lankulsp18gidrvs0rg1vlmb9m 4ax.com Vat9f.39690$RG4.5791 fe05.lga Xns97013291640DEfollydom 207.115.17.102 7ckem19kc6p8hlauveqnhmr3j5egjfp7ot 4ax.com Xns97013EF13E444follydom 207.115.17.102