Greg G.

Default Initial review of the Delta Left Tilt Unisaw w 50" Beismeyer - refurb - (LONG)

Mike Marlow said:

Argh! Thanks for the experience Greg. What a shame to have to put up with
some of the workmanship issues that came packaged in that box. I don't care
what a saw sells for new, or that it's reconditioned - $1200 is still $1200,
no matter how you cut it. At that price I would expect quality. With that
name, I would expect quality. You're too forgiving with your willingness to
take on some of the issues yourself - bent shaft, sharp edges, etc. Or
maybe I'm not forgiving enough, but I would have expected better quality
than that for the money.

Well, some of my criticisms are pretty well know - like the blade
guard and splitter. Otherwise an aftermarket industry would not exist
to address these weak points. They DO have to built a product to hit
a certain price point, but I still feel that guards are an overlooked
and underdeveloped item - in ALL brands.

The only real complaints I had were the bent blade angle shaft, which
is not the vendor or Delta's fault - but the shipper's, the somewhat
rough table surface - even though it is very flat, and that beat-up
metal rod. Apparently, the internal dust deflector was improperly
installed as well - no biggy, but a bit disconcerting.

I'm sure it's far better than your "cheap old contractor saw", and it will
probably sit well in the middle of the floor when it's all done, but this
kind of stuff makes it a slower path to that satisfaction of going out there
just before bed time and turning on the lights just one more time for a
quick look.

Yea, it was disappointing to see that bent worm screw shaft.
Kinda precludes setting it up and using it until it is dealt with.

But I can't quite see myself "tucking it in" before bedtime. ;-)
Then again, I've not got it set up and actually USED the darned thing.
It might just change my perspective. ;-)
It IS kinda pretty just sitting there and all...

All the same - congratulations on making one of those long awaited
purchases.

Thanks,
(even though my projects will be built with twobafours for a while)

Woodlessly Yours,

Greg G.