Eugene Nine

Default Burned up routers...

Astriapo wrote:

Well tonight I did it. Burned that sucker up. Funny, it was only 6
months old. It was the Porter Cable 894PK 2 1/4 Horsepower. I was
making raised panels for six doors. I figured since it was going to be
painted that I would use 3/4 MDF.

Well, first of all a shopvac isn't a very good dust collection system
for MDF. Second, the laundry washing liquid Tide isn't really a good
dust shield with a shop vac (I cut the bottom open, screwed it to the
router base which is a piece of junk anyway and then cut the lid to fit
my shop vac hose). It worked till the shop vac filter got clogged.

And finally, using the CMT cabinet bits, I burned my router up. When I
smelled something burning, I thought it was the shopvac. No, it was the
router. Made it through one more cut, then wammo.. Smoke.

My question is what should I replace it with? Besides a decent dust
collector. I'm looking at this Triton 3 1/4 horsepower at Woodcraft.
Dewalt has a 3 horsepower as well. I love the Porter Cable though. It
was a snap to change bases...

Please flood me with suggestions.. I need to replace it as early as
tomorrow. I need to finish a project before Saturday.

I love mine. If your going to pitch yours I'll paypal you the postage for
all the parts