John

Default Sears table saw help

Greg G. wrote:
Michael said:

I have a (113.298762) Sears table saw.

First of all......(don't laugh)......are those keys supposed to be in the
slots on each shaft?.....because I know that's what ends up moving around,
the key.

This may be a pointless question, but isn't there a grub screw that is
supposed to hold the pulley in position. Most have one. It's a small
hex head allen screw. There should be a hole in the side of the
pulley hub. Tighten it, but don't strip it out.

These keys are angled and I don't get the design because they are bound to
slip no matter how hard I tighten.

Never seen an angled one - they are usually square stock, and you
definitely need it. That is what prevents the pulley from spinning on
the shaft. There are tremendous rotational forces going on there...
They *might* have used a woodruff key, but I've never seen one on a
table saw.

Can anyone put me in the right direction with this or have a fix?

Hopefully, I just did. :-)

I bought a couple of 5/8" shaft collars and thought I may be able to do a
something with them.

I'd try to fix the problem with the original design if possible...
Then try modification - there may be unseen caveats.

Greg G.

Perhaps also a little Loctite to help prevent the screw from loosening