Jay Pique

Default best way to clean old augur bits?

lustra wrote:
I got one of those deals on a big box that contained more than 70 old
augur bits for my brace drill. These bits are really gunky, dirty,
some of them are rusty, but they are all filthy and covered with years
of gunk. I have been thinking the best thing to do with them is to
drop them in a bucket of mineral spirits and let them soak for a few
hours, just to get at least the original crud off them. Any better
ideas? I'd like to do the initial cleaning as easily as possible,
then, when they're clean(er), I can look at the bits individually and
scrub/clean/sharpen or discard as necessary. But I need to get to step
1 first...

Soak them in a bucket of degreaser (Simple Green would work), brush
them off with a stiff brush, then use an electrolysis pit to derust
them. (Google on electrolysis rust removal). Finally, spray them with
Boeshield or other rust preventive spray.

JP