Default External Aerial fixing query

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote:

The one thing that improved was the ease of setting up as I didn't
have to position the aerial quite so carefully when it was outside,

Proving the reflections are an issue.

Yes, but having dealt with that issue by positioning the aerial
the loft aerial performed just as well as the outdoor aerial. It
*may* be that you can't avoid the issue completely in which case an
outdoor aerial may be the answer but just saying 'outdoor is always
best and much better than loft' is simply not true. Other people here
have said this too.

I think one factor may be that a commercial/professional installer doesn't
have the time (or patience) to spend a lot of time crawling around in
a loft to install an aerial in the best position there. They are much
more set up to quickly gain access to the roof and/or a chimney and can
get a reliable installation more easily that way.

A D-I-Y installer on the other hand probably doesn't have the
equipment or skills to work up on the roof or by a chimney, but they
*do* have more time (and maybe 'sympathy' with the surroundings) to do
a good loft installation.

--
Chris Green