DanG

Default using scrap of romex sheath as a spacer

Strip a piece of copper wire. Wrap it tightly around a Phillips
screwdriver. Pull it off. Cut the appropriate number of coils to
space the switch/recep out the proper distance. Materials and
tools that you always have when doing plugging and switching.
Economical, solid, fireproof, professional.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"autonut843" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
The other day I was working in a house about 5 years old and I
saw
something I thought was neat, wondering how prevalent it is. To
fill
the gap between the front of the electrical box and the surface
of the
sheet rock, the electrician threaded the outlet/switch mounting
screw
through a short scrap of romex sheath that could squish down and
keep
the switch/outlet forced out away from the box, flush with the
wall.
Is that common? new? good idea? bad idea?

Whenever I've had that problem in the past I would just put a
bunch of
small washers on the screw. I didn't know if I should switch to
doing
this instead.