Don

Default Sun (Sony?) GDM-5410 Excessive brightness

Hi,

"JM" wrote
"Don" None@Given wrote

I have a GDM-5410 monitor that can no longer adjust the

brightness/contrast.
The display *works* -- but appears as if the brightness and contrast
controls
are pegged at maximum (even when I set them at their minimums).

[snip]

From what I've read this is a pretty common problem -- read more he
http://www.hutzelman.com/home/hardware/mods/monitor/
Hope that helps!

Thanks for the pointer but the "fix" appears to be just a bandaid -- it
doesn't identify the actual *failure*... just patches things to limp along.

frown

A quick peek at the schematic seems to suggest the contrast regulator
may be wimping out (beta degradation?). I'll try to make some time
to pull the skin off it this weekend and see what things look like.
Maybe a $5 repair (instead of the 10c workaround). Worth the
extra money, IMO! :

Thanks!
--don