Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Default External Aerial fixing query

In article ,
wrote:

My advice is don't bother. I suspect that a better aerial in the loft
will make far more difference than moving the existing aerial outside.

WRONG.

I moved my loft aerial outside a few months ago and the improvement is
negligable, I've gone from fairly good digital reception with the
occasional droput to fairly good digital reception with the occasional
droput. I also couldn't see much difference in the signal level
indicated by the STB's signal strength display.

Setting up a digital grade aerial is not a matter of waving a few bits of
aluminium in the breeze. All you need is a conformant aerial and cable,
installed properly to the spec laid down. Then it will work correctly.

The aerial is now a couple of feet higher than it was when inside and
the downlead is no longer. I think rooves attenuate the signal less
than the 'rules' suggest, maybe it depends on the roof a bit, ours is
just an ordinary tiled roof.

The attenuation is NOT your problem. You have reflections.

The one thing that improved was the ease of setting up as I didn't
have to position the aerial quite so carefully when it was outside,

Proving the reflections are an issue.