Dave

Default Removing/replacing steering column in Renault Espace

Brian Reay wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

There's a bit of play in the u/j at the bottom of the steering column of
my '99 Espace, the local Renault dealer is quoting both arms and both legs
to fix it - has anyone here attempted it and lived to tell the tale?
... or is there a better place to ask?

I had to remove the steering column and replace it on my '93 Espace to find
a stray "squeak". Mine doesn't have an airbag but the basic job wasn't that
hard.

I suggest you explore this idea- although this is offered at your risk:

Leave the steering wheel intact but remove the covers around the column
assembly. On mine, the column is fixed to a cross member by 4 bolts and the
u/j you refer to is visible and accessible just above the pedals. The
column is splined into the u/j and has a bolt that nips up the joint. Undo
this, remove the 4 bolts that secure the column to the cross member, and
pull the column away from the joint- in only needs to move an inch or so.
Remove u/j, replace, and reverse process.

Have a good looksee first but that would be the way I'd try the job.

Thanks for the idea Brian. I've been told that the column is only
available as an assembly but I need to get the trim off and have a look;
there are 4 screws securing one piece but nothing visible on the others.

Dave