Rob

Default Thermostat with Lower Minimum Temp

Rich wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message

My current thermostat is a somewhat older, non-programmable one that only
goes down to 60 degrees. This winter with the high oil prices, I want to
have a thermostat that goes down to 50 degrees. Are most thermostats out
there capable of being set as low as 50 degrees? Also, has anyone had
experience keeping their house at this low a temp? If so, did you run into
problems such as frozen pipes? Note: I use a woodstove, so when folks are
at home it is fine without much heat from the furnace, but I'm more
concerned about times when just the furnace is on.

If its a round Honeywell or anyone of the older style mecury in a tube type,
just adjust it out of level so that 60=50 it will take trial and error to
get it right but that is the cheapest solution. The rest of the question is
really up to your area and what kind of house you have slab/basement ect..
YMMV

Rich

It is an old Sears lever type (not mercury), so I guess I'll look for a
newer one. House is made of stone in NE PA.

Rob