Dan Hartung

Default Thermostat with Lower Minimum Temp

Rob wrote:
My current thermostat is a somewhat older, non-programmable one that
only goes down to 60 degrees. This winter with the high oil prices, I
want to have a thermostat that goes down to 50 degrees. Are most
thermostats out there capable of being set as low as 50 degrees? Also,
has anyone had experience keeping their house at this low a temp? If so,
did you run into problems such as frozen pipes? Note: I use a woodstove,
so when folks are at home it is fine without much heat from the furnace,
but I'm more concerned about times when just the furnace is on.

If your furnace is under warranty, you may void it by keeping your house
below 65 degrees.

I have a relative who replaced the furnaces in a duplex, one was rented
and inhabited, the other used seasonally as an office. During winter he
kept the temperature at 55 degrees. That furnace got a cracked manifold
(cracked something, anyway) after 12 years; the other one is still
working fine 5 years later.

The cold air return is part of the problem, though, so if you're careful
where the input air is coming from ... well, it's your furnace.

I think you'll be able to save as much money by going hog-wild on
insulation and weatherstripping.

I'm assuming the wood is free? Otherwise I've always understood that
wood stoves are very expensive to run.