Rich Greenberg

Default Bob Villa Question

In article . net,
Rick Yerger wrote:
wrote in message
.. .
The "This old house" show is not based on reality. Anyone that CAN
afford to do what they do, will BUILD A NEW HOUSE.

So true. It should be called "This Old ********". And someone
needs to tell them there's nothing noble about clinging to a bunch
of rotted lumber.

In many juristictions, there is a major financial consideration for
leaving part of the old building and incorporating it into the new
parts. If there is a minimum portion of the old it will be treated as a
renovation and will not trigger a property tax boost, Completely new
can add thousands to the annual property tax.

I saw many houses done this way in Los Angeles when I lived there.