John-Del

Default Advice Please: Cheap Meter Recommendations

wrote:
......and it is becoming obvious that I just need to buy a cheap
meter with basic functions.

Count me in as another in the minority with bad Fluke experience. I
had an 8060 die, and an 87. My current 87 was making constant beeping
noises, as if the probe was installed in the amp jack while in volt
mode. I took it apart and snuffed the beeper, and it's still running,
but that's what my other 87 was doing for about a year before it
croaked. I have a 77 as a backup, and it's been troublefree.

The best meters I ever used were the old Beckman meters when they were
still made in USA. I still have a Beckman 100 and the yellow HD100
version. They both work perfectly, but I'm spoiled by the autoranging
of my Fluke (not to mention the recording function which I use almost
daily). The Beckmans were also able to read the DC value on a high
pulse (like a horiz out) when the Flukes would spazz out. The newer
Flukes work ok in this regard.

BUT, when all is said and done, I will still replace my dying 87 with
another Fluke.

John