Bill Rubenstein

Default What SIze Roughing Gouge?

Oneway really indicates in their literature that they want you to use a
standard, high-speed grinder. As I remember there are words about
surface velocity and such. The reason I use a high-speed grinder is
that grinding on the slow-speed just takes too long.

A light touch on a high-speed grinder gets the job done properly, imho.
My gouges are all in Oneway handles -- I like their weight when
turning and I like the fact that the gouge can be removed from the heavy
handle quickly so that I can grind with a minimum of weight and a
maximum of feel -- the best of both worlds.

Bill

scott wrote:
Hey Howard, I also have a Jet1236 and just purchased a tool that has
become a favorite for everything from roughing to finish work...The
Crown Ellsworth Gouge is one of the best cutting tools I've used. I
purchased the larger of the two that my local store had. It's a bit
strange at first, but once you get used to it (which doesn't take long
at all) you'll see how it's very easy to control, takes material away
quickly and can produce an "almost-sanded" finish cut. The only thing
is that it forced me to buy a better grinding system - which
admittedly, I needed to do anyway. If you don't already have one, a
slow speed (1750 rpm max) grinder with the Oneway sharpening system
totally rocks. Hope that's helpful.

Scott