The Natural Philosopher

Default External Aerial fixing query

wrote:

Thanks Chris.
I thought that there was a factor of ten between inside the roof and
outside
the roof?

No. Noth that bad. A wet roof with rain running down it is a bit poor,
but so is a rainstorm btetween you and the transmitter. Tiles and slates
are not bad at all at 450Mhz or whatever..its a different story at
satelliert freqencies tho.

My motive for the move is to do with Digital TV: there's no point in
amplifying rubbish
(but enough of "Channel Five" :-) so the move outside was my next ploy.

Thats what I had - great 1-4, poorish 5 (low power) so Istuck in te
biggest loft array I coudl get in the space and it showe up OKish on C5,
brilliant on 1-4..and basically used a distribution amp on the back -
didn;t imprive the picture, but allowed me to feed 10TV and radio sockets.

Got a digibox later on, stick it on, and voila. Perfect reception on
everything, (as far as digital recpetion is ever 'perfect') including
C5..only difference is the noisy thermostats instead of shoving white
dots on the screen, pixellate the whole picture...

Still BBC3 and Little Britan soon made me forget that...
Ta again

Mungo

P.S. For "better aerial" what is your suggestion (and source) please?