Steve Spence

Default Backfeed generator through dryer outlet?

Pete C. wrote:
Steve Spence wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

I've not seen any transfer switches that switch or isolate the neutral
and I've seen many transfer switches.

Pete C.

My transfer switch switches both hots and neutral.

http://www.green-trust.org/wiki/inde...ransfer_Switch

--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org

The picture is a bit small, but it sure looks like a pair of 2 pole
contactors. I can't tell if they have auxiliary contacts installed for
electrical interlock. It looks rather like the auto transfer switches
I've seen on RVs. If they are indeed 2 pole contactors then you're
either running 120V only or have a solid neutral.

I built a small transfer switch myself with a pair of contactors with
auxiliary contacts installed to allow for electrical interlock of the
contactors coils. When a contactor is energized the NC aux contacts open
the circuit to the coil of the other contactor preventing it from being
energized. Three possible states, one contactor on, the other contactor
on or both contactors off.

Pete C.

The relay on the left switches the neutral, the relay on the right
switches both hots. they are interlocked.