TURTLE

Default 240 V breaker/phase question

"Pop" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message
:
: wrote in message
: ups.com...
: I am getting ready to install a 2000W 240V heater that will be
supllied
: by a 30A subpanel running off the main panel (10/3 w/g).
:
: I have a "1/2 size" dual 15A breaker I pulled out of the main
panel a
: while ago, but was thinking I will need a full size breaker,
so that
: the two 120V suppies to the heater will be running off
different phases
: in the subpanel. The way the 1/2 size breaker feeds off the
main panel
: is through only one "side", so that both 120V to the heater
will be
: essentially supplied by the same 120V feed from the main
panel, so the
: two 120Vs to the heater will be "in phase". If I use a
standard size
: breaker, then it will bridge the two sides of the subpanel,
so it will
: supply the heater with two 120V from different phases. Is
this a
: correct assumption?
:
: thx
:
:
: this is Turtle.
:
: Yes the above will work but you just broke the NEC code as to
having a 240 volt
: service breaker being joined together if one trips the other
will go with it.
: This only depends on how safe you want to be or does being in
code matter to
: you.
:
: TURTLE

HUH? What are you talking about? If it's a split-phase system,
the breakers are required to be ganged. Flip one, they both
flip. Did I fall asleep or something?

Regards,
Pop

This is Turtle.

i read it as he was going to use a single breaker and the side off another
double breaker.

Yes you feel a sleep for you did not read into what i read.

TURTLE