Dan Hartung

Default New sill plate, old tie rod?

Repairing a shed. The old sill plate had a hole bored through, and a tie
rod inserted, with an outer plate to hold it in place. The sill plate
rotted away, need to put in a new one, but what would be best?

* cut groove in sill plate to accept tie rod (seems like it would weaken
frame)
* split sill plate here (seems even weaker)
* cut plate off tie rod, bore sill plate, somehow weld/etc. new plate or
some kind of cotter-pin assembly (least weakening of frame, best repair
of tie rod)
* forget tie rod, cut it off inside the wall
* run new tie rod to other wall (would have to excavate)

When this wall is fixed, next year maybe, I may have to do some jacking
of the walls to straighten the corners, so I don't want to leave the
structure weaker than it should be.