John DeBoo

Default Chucks or alternatives

Hmmm, I paid $199 for my Jet mini 1 year ago. IIRC, face shield was $4,
already have safety glasses, cheap chisel set until I get my feet wet
was maybe $40, which will be upgraded to a decent set later on. Mini
chisel set was on sale for $23. Jacobs drill chuck and MT2 were $17.
Already have a nice Husky Rancher 55 chainsaw I paid $260 for 2 years
ago (kick butt saw!). Chainsaw was purchased for a different use so it
doesn't really count towards my lathe items.

Bought the Nova chuck today for $99 as I'm satisfied it'll do the
trick. Bought it at Woodworkers Supply as a price match. When they
called Woodcraft, the guy lied and told them they were selling it for
$119, not $99, I think to discourage me from buying at WWS vs Woodcraft.
Thats puckie as I have their in-store flyer (didn't have it at WWS)
and that price is thru Nov 30. The WWS people believed me so they now
have a new customer and Woodcraft has lost one.

I want decent safe tools to use but that are cost effective. I'm not
into the brandname game like some and do not have a boatload of
disposible income so I have to shop carefully and make the best
economical choice I can, which in this case I think I did. Were I a pro
I might consider some of the items and prices on your list, but since
I'm a hobbiest I have to make do. I'm a happy camper with my purchases!

John D.

mac davis wrote:
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:02:49 -0700, John DeBoo wrote:

Rationalization is a fact in woodworking.. lol

Most folks with something like a $200 jet midi will spend MUCH more for
accessories for it...
In my case: (that I can remember)