mac davis

Default Chucks or alternatives

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:02:49 -0700, John DeBoo wrote:

Rationalization is a fact in woodworking.. lol

Most folks with something like a $200 jet midi will spend MUCH more for
accessories for it...
In my case: (that I can remember)

At least $150 for more chisels and scrapers

$225 for coring system

$200 for Talon chuck

$110 or so for spigot & jumbo jaws for Talon

$100 for bowl gouge set

$75 - $100 for face shield & safety glasses

$40 - $60 for assortment of hook & loop mandrels and discs for power sanding

$30 for right angle drill

$70 for Beall buffing system

Also add the 2 things that I didn't have or need in the shop before getting the
lathe:

$180 for chain saw

$350 for Bandsaw

$60 for riser kit for BS

ADD whatever the imagination allows for sand paper, stains, oils, finishes,
etc...

On totaling the (partial) list above, I can even rationalize the $900 I spend
for the Jet 1442 in June.. *g*
(which the Talon and all of the above fit)

I'd love one of them but they cost more than I paid for the Jet Midi a
year ago brand new from Woodcraft! I just can't seem to rationalize
that in my mind.
John D.

wrote:

Evening John:

I use the Talon chuck with my mini lathe. It only requires 1 hand to
operate and holds very well.

The Other Bruce
John DeBoo wrote:

Went into my local Woodcraft today to buy a Nova Midi chuck for my Jet
Midi 1014 and the salesperson convinced(?) me this was not the one for
me by telling me how it would be a bad choice for me needs and that I
needed a 3rd hand to be able to mount stuff in it. I really needed the
Super Nova - which of course costs about what I paid or more for my
lathe new i year ago @ Woodcraft. I just can't rationalize doing that.

I'm a:
- Hobbiest, not a pro and doing this for fun off and on.
- Making small items, maybe a few goblets and simple bowls 10" dia max.
- No exotic woods or cuts, just general fun stuff.
- Might even make a set of chessmen one day, cedar, oak, pine, whatever.
- I have no add-ons for the lathe like *extra* faceplates etc, just what
it came with originally. Belay that, I do have an MT2 1/2" drill chuck.

Looking for a viable alternative to the Nova chuck and/or a SAFE and
proven means of doing that sort of work with something else that is cost
effective. Snagged 2 books from the library to day to assist. Turning
Wood by Raffan and Woodturning by Rowley. But I thought I'd ask the
experts here also and see what shakes out. Would appreciate, pointers,
tips, links and opinions.

Thanks,
John D.

mac