Ed Sirett

Default Vent requirements for gas fire.

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 03:12:44 -0800, b33k34 wrote:

Grouch wrote:
Whoever installed it should have checked and advised what ventilation was
required; if they didn't I'd be very suspicious as to their qualifications
to do such a job.

The fitter did check, advised us 100cm3. The floorboards that were
down at the time a) had up to 4mm gaps between them, and b) had a hole
about 10cm x 10cm where a first, aborted, attempt had been made to fit
the fire by another fitter so there was more than enough ventilation.
There was no point in him insisting on a vent being added because he
knew we were about to lay a secondary floor which would change the
situation.

Hence my question:
1) in a draghty house is it still necessary (not to comply with the
regs but to be safe)
2) where can i buy a suitable vent? (and if they're measured by
external diameter rather than cubic airflow what size vent do i need?)

The manual will state the facts - this is the ultimate decider.
If the manual does not state the vent requirements then:

If the fire has an input gas rate of less than 7kW then no purpose
provided vent is needed PROVIDED the flue draws (which is will unless it's
blocked).

If more than 7kW then 100cm^2 will be needed.
If more than 14kW (which some display type models could be) then I would
need to look some standard docs - however that would be very big if
it's a grate burner.

Attempts to rewrite the regs based on pleading to special circumstances
are a bit like trying to argue that you can bypass some of the electric
regs "because you're only use lights".