Brian Reay

Default Removing/replacing steering column in Renault Espace

"Dave" wrote in message
There's a bit of play in the u/j at the bottom of the steering column of
my '99 Espace, the local Renault dealer is quoting both arms and both legs
to fix it - has anyone here attempted it and lived to tell the tale?
... or is there a better place to ask?

I had to remove the steering column and replace it on my '93 Espace to find
a stray "squeak". Mine doesn't have an airbag but the basic job wasn't that
hard.

I suggest you explore this idea- although this is offered at your risk:

Leave the steering wheel intact but remove the covers around the column
assembly. On mine, the column is fixed to a cross member by 4 bolts and the
u/j you refer to is visible and accessible just above the pedals. The
column is splined into the u/j and has a bolt that nips up the joint. Undo
this, remove the 4 bolts that secure the column to the cross member, and
pull the column away from the joint- in only needs to move an inch or so.
Remove u/j, replace, and reverse process.

Have a good looksee first but that would be the way I'd try the job.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN