Derek Andrews

Default Chucks or alternatives

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
I have a One Way with the two bars for adjustment. No third hand is
necessary for adjustment. In fact, for one of my production products, a
Christmas ornament, I need to adjust from holding a 7/8" tenon to a 3/8"
tenon. It is quicker with the Tommy bars than it would be with a wrench.

Hi Darrell,

2 quick questions - do you lock the headstock to do this? Does the
Oneway have multiple locations for the bars?

I ask these questions since I think these factors are highly relevant to
someone looking to buy a lathe. My first lathe had no headstock lock,
and the chuck was adjusted with two C-spanners which only had two
positions to locate them. My experience was that it took some figuring
as to which way to fit the C-spanners. Even then it was often impossible
to arrange them so they could be squeezed together in one hand.
Altogether an unsatifactoy arrangement with some features that others
may want to avoid.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com