Brian Elfert

Default Unisaw Electrical Plug

Greg writes:

breakers. But I do not deny that most likely, most homes have 15 amp
sockets, 'cause that's what the contractor bought a bulk box of.
Codes vary as do inspectors. ($$$) You may mail my $1000 to:

Where do you find something that gets used in a normal residence with a 20
amp plug?

15 amp receptacles get used because nothing in 99% of all houses uses 20
amps. The wiring is 20 amp because it services multiple outlets.

socket determines the ultimate current carrying capacity of the
receptacle. In this bean-counting world, this makes sense to me.
I have noticed that the bonding straps between the two outlets on a
120v 20amp duplex receptacle are heavier than on a 15 amp duplex
receptacle. The socket has to carry as much current as the wiring,

Is using the bonding straps on an outlet to continue the circuit even code
legal? A good electrician will run a pigtail to the outlet and not use
the bonding strap. I wired my own house and used pigtails.

Brian Elfert