Shannon Pate

Default Brick Columns for 2nd Story Deck

Thats a lot of questions.... I'll number the answers to match.

1. The width of the columns is aesthetic. However, your brick mason will
appreciate it if you make them work out to even brickwork. There is a
give/take issue here too. The columns are pretty tall. If you go too
small, they may look "spindly" from the rear. Since they will extend to the
rail height, they will be visible on the deck. Wide columns will look (and
be) very big when viewed from the deck.

2. I usually brick around a concrete block column. The block helps keep
things square and add some solid structure to the center.

3. The attachement of the deck to the columns is the tricky part. I prefer
to have the mason leave an opening where the deck band can be inserted into
the column so that it bears on masonry. This typically leaves a gap but we
cover it by running a trim board (treated) around the band. Alternatively,
you could "hang" the deck from the columns. This would require drilling and
bolting the band to the columns and then hanging the joists on that band.
The downside is that there isn't much material for attachment on a column
and it could be somewhat brittle.

4. The deck should be attached to the house with lag bolts. The deck will
be built after the brickwork is done. The deck ledger (band) will be bolted
through the brick (and into the wooded structure of the floor system). No
posts will be needed against the house.

FYI, it seems like a simple undertaking, but this is a detail that adds a
great deal of complexity to a typically simple process. Don't be surprised
by the cost of this upgrade.

Shannon Pate

wrote in message
ups.com...
I plan on building a 2nd story deck that is supported by brick columns.
I would like to support the free end of the deck with 3 square brick
columns that extend through the deck floor to provide attachments for
railing. The height of the deck floor from the ground will be 11 feet.
I have a few questions:
1. How large should the columns be?
2. Should there be an additional support structure inside of the
columns? (concrete blocks, poured concrete, wood column, etc)
3. How would the deck be attached to the columns?
4. How would the deck be attached to the house? I can use posts that
are placed next to the house but since the house is under construction
and has not been bricked yet, I was hoping there was a way to attached
something to the structure before the brick is layed that will support
the deck.

Thanks for your input.