Phil Scott

Default Brick Columns for 2nd Story Deck

wrote in message
ups.com...
I plan on building a 2nd story deck that is supported by
brick columns.
I would like to support the free end of the deck with 3
square brick
columns that extend through the deck floor to provide
attachments for
railing. The height of the deck floor from the ground will
be 11 feet.
I have a few questions:
1. How large should the columns be?
2. Should there be an additional support structure inside of
the
columns? (concrete blocks, poured concrete, wood column,
etc)
3. How would the deck be attached to the columns?
4. How would the deck be attached to the house? I can use
posts that
are placed next to the house but since the house is under
construction
and has not been bricked yet, I was hoping there was a way
to attached
something to the structure before the brick is layed that
will support
the deck.

Thanks for your input.

In seismic zones the city will want civil or structural
engineering on the columns. If I were going to boot leg it
in Id put blocks down the center with 4 1/2" rebars then
pour the centers then brick around the outside. Id photo
graph the entire set up so if the city comes out later you
have a chance the inspector wont make you tear it out...Id
also leave the top caps removeble do the rebar install can be
seen.

Best would be to get a city permit maybe you can get by
without hiring a civil or structural engr.

attachment to the house is usually by a stringer attached to
the side wall but that needs design work to insure is flashed
properly etc. and will be compatible with the rest of the wall
structure.

You sound a little green to be doing this without a contractor
to advise you...pay the home builder to advise you..that
should work.

Soil conditions are an issue also..its not totally simple.
You dont want those heavy columns sinking over time etc.

it needs some quality design work from someone that knows the
site conditions and the local building dept

Phil Scott

Phil Scott