Default Advice Please: Cheap Meter Recommendations

James Sweet wrote:
Doug Kelly wrote:
Well... I spent $20 on a RadioShack pocket DMM, works fine, and had one battery
change. Also use a Vellman DMM--same thing, cheap, wouldn't trust too much,
but you know, it does the job. I, like everyone else, am surprised that you'd
be having so many problems with Fluke meters. I mean... can I have one? :P
If you're looking for something to just USE and get a quick test for
diagnostics or something... yeah, go to a RadioShack or other electronics
store, and don't expect to spend more than $10-20. I know both of mine are
under $20 apiece. Just remember, you get what you pay for.... they may not be
the most accurate things you can get.

He bought cheap used high end meters that were probably abused and
having problems to begin with and that's why they were cheap, what does
one expect? I have a couple cheap DMM's and they work fine as second
meters, but they're all pretty much the same, and none of them are worth
having fixed when they fail.

Ok. So you're saying that a used Fluke 8060A gotten from Ebay is not
worth a cheapo meter from Radio Shack, correct?

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.