Aidan Grey

Default Old components - worth anything?

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 07:44:22 GMT, Alt Beer wrote:

" B Stanton wrote in message
.. .
I've inherited my grandfather's shop, and there are boxes of
old components, from transistors in metal cans to rolls of
cotton insulated wire and capacitors that look like wax
sealed rolls of paper and foil. Little to none of it is
actually "new," it's mostly removed from older equipment.
There are also rectifiers that look like multiple square
pieces of metal separated by some rectifying material.

Is any of this worth anything? I'd like to junk anything
without value, but not if it's useful. Do people repair
older equipment with this stuff for "authenticity?" Not
many tubes in the collection. Comments are welcome.

Probably like gold dust to repairers and old radio
enthusiasts who like to keep equipment authentic at all cost.

I believe the rectifiers you are describing use selenium. I
think anything containing selenium classes as toxic waste, and
must be disposed of properly.

The capacitors will probably fail a leakage test if you do
one.

The other components are probably usable.

Aidan Grey