Pop

Default GFI Outlet-Where?

The GFCI needs to be the first one in the chain, nearest the
breaker box. Wires come into it from the breaker, and then the
rest of the outlets are fed from the other side of the gfci
outlet. That way all outlets on that line are protected.
So, no, it shouldn't be placed just anywhere.
Not sure what you mean by "pull all the ... near the sink", so
I'll pass on that. All kitchen appliance outlets should be
protected, though, the ones near the sink in particular.
Here's one of many decent sites about the subject:
http://homerepair.about.com/cs/elect...CI_what_is.htm

HTH,

"Dick" wrote in message
: We are redoing our kitchen & I want to put in GFI outlets
(house is 30 yrs
: old) in the kitchen. I believe I have read that that one GFI
outlet in a
: circuit will protect the whole circuit.....If this is true, can
the GFI
: outlet be installed in any of the kitchen outlets (as long as
it's the same
: circuit) or the first one.....closest to the breaker box? How
do determine
: which one (that will protect the whole circuit) or should I
just go ahead &
: pull all GFI outlets near the sink?
:
: