Eric R Snow

Default Safe distance to watch arc welding

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:45:22 GMT, Ignoramus26744
wrote:

On 30 Oct 2005 09:41:10 -0800, wrote:
Do you wear glasses? Glass will filter out the UV.

I guess that that's why I did not get hurt when I flashed myself with
a tig arc recently.

It takes a minimum amount of UV to cause enough damage for you to feel
it. Like a sunburn. Obviously, the UV is going to start damaging
tissue right away but if only a tiny amount is damaged you will not be
aware of it. I have been flashed, by myself accidently stepping on the
pedal, from tig welding many times. They have all been brief enough
not to cause pain. So that may also be why you weren't burned.
ERS

The distance does vary with the type of welding and the power. Tig
seems to bleach my shirts much more than stick.

Dan