Banty

Default Question for Painters (colors)

In article WX49f.2226$sF6.777@trnddc03, Dr. Hardcrab says...

wrote in message
roups.com...

I'm looking for some neutral shades of paint.
I was wondering if anyone can supply me with the paint brand and chip
number of some nice neutral shades.

It seems I paint a room over and over again looking for the right
color. The color on the chip looks nice, but when I get it on the wall
there is too much red or green, etc... Or it's too light or dark.

If you paint for a living, I'd sure appreciate the brand/chip number of
the neutral paints you use.

Tough question.

What's your idea of "neutral"?

I mean no offence, but if you have painted "a room over and over again" I
don't think YOU are sure what neutral is.......

It *is* tough to get the neutral you want. Of course it depends on what is
desired in a neutral. (more taupey? more beigy - that is more yellow?) But it
also depends so much on the other things in the room, esp. flooring, and
lighting.

To the O.P. - I've (personally) been really pleased with Benjamin Moore White
Dove for a very pretty and long-wearing off-white for trim and ceilings and
walls in a room my son wanted white and blue. The Ben Moore Anique White really
is a light beige (toward the yellow side) that worked very well with dark
stained trim in a finished basement.

Get the smallest portions of paint buyable, paint two or three choices in 3x3
foot squares on a prominent wall. Then wait a week. Look in the morning, in
the mid-day, in the evening, and at night with the lighting you most often use.
Walk in and try to sense which one draws the eye in a pleasing way. During the
course of the week. Then you'll be in a better position to know what "lives"
well on the walls.

Banty