All Thumbs

Default Ceiling drywall thickness - how to tell?

Colbyt wrote:
"All Thumbs" wrote in message

Thanks. Is there any downside to using longer screws than necessary?

Normally no. If someone ran a water line improperly there might be a
problem. But honestly if .25" makes a difference I have never encountered
it.

The difference is more like 0.5" (0.375" difference in screw length +
0.125" in drywall thickness). A local big box store carries 1.25" and
1.625" screws for drywalls. The former is for 1/2" drywall and the
latter 5/8". I could understand the need for longer screws to hold the
weight of thicker/heavier wallboards, but wondered if there's a downside
to using the longer screws for the thinner type of drywall. My thinking
was, if there's no downside to doing that they could/would stock just
the 1.625" kind.