bob

Default Cabinets in basement...melamine, mdf, plywood?

I buy mahogany for two bucks a board foot (cheaper than pine and poplar!)
and I'm making my own shop cabinets, raised panel fronts and all. SWMBO
says the shop cabinets are nicer than the kitchen units and when am I going
to swap with her?

"RobW" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a shop in my basement (Chicago area) and am going to build some
wall and base cabinets. My plan was to use melamine, but a pro
cabinetmaker just told me that they will mold. I don't have any
problem with water in my basement so far (house only 1 year old), but
he said the glues used in melamine/mdf/particle board WILL mold in
time, guarenteed.

I know plywood isn't a whole lot more expensive, but these are just
going to be shop cabinets, nothing fancy. I'd rather spend the extra
$$$ on a new toy, (you know, tools).

Has anybody had any mold problems with melamine molding in their
basements?

Rob