HeyBub

Default Remodeling revealed termites -- now what?

LurfysMa wrote:
I'm a little annoyed. I would appreciate some help deciding what to
do.

I live in Palo Alto, California -- 30 miles south of San Francisco.
The house was built around 1940. A second story was added in 1985. My
(now) wife bought the house in 1990. We got married in 2002 and I
moved in. The house has a foundation (not a slab). Most of the
exterior is stucco.

A few months after I moved in, a pest control guy knocked at the door
saying that he was here to check the termite traps. I asked my wife
about it. She said that in 1999 she found a lot of "wings" in several
places inside the house. Friends told her it was termites and
recommended a pesty control company. It's a company that has offices
throughout at least Northern California. She said they installed
"traps"around the house, which they check each month. I asked her how
much that costs and she said, $45/mo. I asked her if they ever found
any termites and she said no. I told her I thought it was a scam and
we cancelled the contract.

Heh! Your "scammed" wife dealt with a problem in 1999, after which there was
no further evidence of infestation.

You took over from the little woman three years later and cancelled the
coverage (plus the warranty). Three years later, you discover a massive,
two-story termite attack.

Boy, I'd hate to be you.