Default Why aren't computer clocks as accurate as cheap quartz watches?

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

Andy Baxter wrote:

Not an answer to your question, but if this is a problem
for you and you have a broadband or frequent dial-up
connection, you can synchronise your clock with a time
server on the internet using a protocol called ntp.

That improves the accuracy of the reported time but not of the clocks
themselves.

It improves both. A good NTP server can hold your system clock to
within milliseconds of the correct time; with an accurate local
reference, it can do perhaps 100 times better. The hardware RTC in
your PC won't be any more accurate, but the actual time of date
returned by the system will. It works extremely well.

Unfortunately I need a solution for non-networked computers, and it
looks like I'll have to resort to hardware.