Mark L.

Default Cabinets in basement...melamine, mdf, plywood?

Rob,
I'm in Chicago also, and have had melamine cabs in the basement and
garage for over 15 years with absolutely no mold/mildew. My basement is
dry and I installed the basic white cabinets from the Borg, nothing
fancy and a lot quicker than making them.

RobW wrote:

I have a shop in my basement (Chicago area) and am going to build some
wall and base cabinets. My plan was to use melamine, but a pro
cabinetmaker just told me that they will mold. I don't have any
problem with water in my basement so far (house only 1 year old), but
he said the glues used in melamine/mdf/particle board WILL mold in
time, guarenteed.

I know plywood isn't a whole lot more expensive, but these are just
going to be shop cabinets, nothing fancy. I'd rather spend the extra
$$$ on a new toy, (you know, tools).

Has anybody had any mold problems with melamine molding in their
basements?

Rob