Doug Miller

Default Cabinets in basement...melamine, mdf, plywood?

In article , wrote:
Doug Miller said:

In article . com, "RobW"

wrote:
I have a shop in my basement (Chicago area) and am going to build some
wall and base cabinets. My plan was to use melamine, but a pro
cabinetmaker just told me that they will mold. I don't have any
problem with water in my basement so far (house only 1 year old), but
he said the glues used in melamine/mdf/particle board WILL mold in
time, guarenteed.

That's hogwash. Mold and mildew need moisture to grow. Anything that gets
moist, and stays that way for an extended time, will develop mold or mildew.
Anything that stays dry, won't.

I think the problem is that MDF and other 'engineered' products have
an affinity for moisture. I don't believe it's the glue, but the
broken fibres in the product that absorb water molecules from the air
and hold them like a sponge. As seen in this photo, mold is growing
on a router jig in my garage. Above ground, absolutely never been
'wet'. But there it is...

http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/moldy_mdf.jpg

Yeah, well... unless you live in Arizona, your garage is likely to be a pretty
humid place much of the year... and that MDF doesn't look like it's been
finished with anything waterproof, either. Do you suppose that's how the
mildew got started?

Like I said... anything that _stays_dry_ won't mildew. Unfinished MDF stored
in a garage is not in the category of things that "stay dry".

Finished basement is the same way. Absolutely dry - but there it is.
Anything that can absorb water, molds.

That's why it's important to seal surfaces against the entry of water.

In other words, if you can put
a drop of water on a surface and it is absorbed, mold will grow in
humid conditions - whether it is "wet" or not - it aggregates in the
material in sufficient quantities to promote the growth of mold.

That's why it's important to seal surfaces against the entry of water.

All
it needs now is a food source, and the paper or wood works just fine.

That's why it's important to seal surfaces against the entry of water.

--
Regards,