Lobster

Default Query;Upvc DG and building regs

Hugo Nebula wrote in message . ..
On 1 Jul 2004 06:38:04 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named
(Lobster) randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

Is this 'means of escape' rule the same for a property which is
rented? Or are the rules more strenous then?

If you do have a means of escape window, what are the rules about
height above floor etc; because presumably Building Regs are concerned
about toddlers etc opening them and plummetting from the first floor?

It's for any property.

For new work, a window opening should be no lower than 800mm above the
floor (600mm for rooflights in loft conversions). Restrictors to keep
the window from opening no more than 100mm are often acceptable if the
opening is lower. Again, there are no continuing powers with the
Building Regulations, so if the existing window doesn't comply with
the latest requirements for openings, there's no obligation to
upgrade.

I'm still sorting out my MOE windows (as in how many I have to fit)...
on that note, Hugo, I remember the following quote from another
thread(!)....

Hugo Nebula wrote in message . ..
Perhaps you should have just nodded your head and lied. It's a little
game we have to play sometimes, like, "Have you put a cavity tray in
above the new lean to roof?" "No, it's too fiddly and time consuming."
"Wrong answer, try again".

I asked my BCO whether I needed an MOE in the second upstairs room as
well, and she said, "No, not so long as it's not a bedroom, otherwise
you would". As the room is pretty obviously bedroom-sized, I strongly
think she's doing a Hugo here! My question is, if I play along, call
this a storeroom, and get the buildings reg certificate issued on the
property; would this bite me on the backside later? As in, could I
then not legitimately sell or let the place as a 2-bedroom house?
(and presumably I could be liable in the future if somebody managaged
to get trapped and fried in that room?)

Thanks
David