Set Square

Default Carpet under skirting board

David wrote:

I'm decorating a small room 6' x 7' to use as an office. It has a
concrete floor and will be replacing the skirting as I have to box in
some pipes. I'll be using some carpet tiles and wondered if I put down
the carpet first, then fit the skirting board on top, I wouldn't need
to cut the carpet exactly .

Not a good idea!

Carpet tiles need to be a tight fit against the walls - or whatever - or
they will start moving apart when you walk on them. Skirting board is far
more likely to present a decent straight edge against which to fit them than
is rough plaster/unplastered brickwork.

It's very easy to cut carpet tiles to fit against a straight edge, using a
sharp Stanley knife. Where you need a partial tile, lay a whole tile upside
down, with one edge against the wall - and overlap the previous tile over
it. Use the previous tile as a guide for marking the cutting line. Take the
tile up, use a steel straight-edge to guide the knife along the marked
cutting line, the re-lay the tile the proper way up.
--
Cheers,
Set Square