Lobster

Default Carpet under skirting board

David wrote:
I'm decorating a small room 6' x 7' to use as an office. It has a
concrete floor and will be replacing the skirting as I have to box in
some pipes. I'll be using some carpet tiles and wondered if I put down
the carpet first, then fit the skirting board on top, I wouldn't need
to cut the carpet exactly . The tiles would only go under the skirting
by about a quarter inch so could be pulled out if necessary.
Although it sounds like I'm trying to get out of doing a neat job, am
I likely to encounter any problems?

I wouldn't if I were you. For a start, it's dead easy trimming carpet
tiles to fit exactly; much more so than with normal carpet - google this
newsgroup for the exact method (as I did myself about a year ago!). I
just don't see you saving any time doing it your way.

It's a 'messy' solution too; OK you can pull your tiles out again, but
what happens when they are worn out and you want to replace them, and
the new tiles are thinner/thicker?

Is it ok to lay carpet tiles directly onto concrete?

I think most, if not all, carpet tiles are intended to be laid that way;
they have solid rubber backing in place of using underlay. That's how i
fitted mine.

David