Bob Miller

Default Portable HDTV Set

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I consider it to be a faulty standard.

Do you remember the early portable CD digital audio players?

Remember the skipping?

Note that manufacturers had to build buffering and better pickups to
take care of the problem.

Same evolution with video.

Kids are in the back of the SUV/RV watching digital
televison...dropouts, ghosting, etc....guess what..manufacturers will
be forced to provide the service the customer demands.

Until then I and many others won't be spending money on DTV.

TMT

Portable and mobile are a big deal and will be big business in most
countries. The recent IBC show in Amsterdam was 20% bigger than last
year mostly because of the interest in mobile DTV.

In the US we do have two ventures both targeting cell phone DTV,
Qualcomm and Crown Castle but soon you will hear of other ventures
targeting vehicles, laptops and other larger screens than cell phones.

Auctions to be held in 2008 will allow more such DTV that works mobile
and portable. Stay tuned. The disastrous DTV transition in the US has
held back progress but it will soon be of little interest as new
broadcasters come on line who do care about OTA DTV broadcasting unlike
the current broadcasters who live and die by must carry over cable.

Bob Miller