N. Thornton

Default Cheap way of reducing dust in loft

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
To clarify, as some people seem to be answering a question I didn't think I
had asked :-)

I want to clad the rafters (i.e. the sloping things that support the roof).
I am not concerned about removing dust from the insulation (which will be
under the flooring) or anything to do with the joists (the horizontal things
that support ceiling and floor).

The roof is tile over some kind of tar paper or similar.

There is no insulation betwen the rafters.

I want to cover the rafters (to give a sloping ceiling effect) which will
reduce dust and cobwebs at head height.

The solution should be simple, safe, and very cheap.

The fibreglass insulation underfoot is the main dust source in lofts,
hence the suggestion to spray the insulation with dilute PVA. Just
dont overdo it, I can just imagine someone saturating their ceilings
and them all collapsing. As yours is floored, taping over the board
joints might help, and dealing with any missing gaps.

You say:
The solution should be simple, safe, and very cheap.

quite simply there is no such. Several compromise options have been
offered, like paper, ali foil, but you cant have all 3 at once. Ali
foil is about as cloe as youll come to that. Paper is cheapest and
easiest, but not flameproof. It could be borax sprayed though, borax
is very cheap.

If youre willing to go up a notch on price and effort, and do it
properly instead of extremely miserly, thin plasterboard would be
good. You can get it in smaller sheets for loft work. It meets all
your requirements except cheap and quick and easy.

Regards, NT