George E. Cawthon

Default Is a woodstove worth the money?

Bill wrote:
wrote in message

Is a wood stove worth the money?

Well it can cost $3,000.00 or more for... The special hearth on which the
wood stove sits (which must have a specific R-value and have the proper
distances in all directions out from the wood stove), the woodstove itself,
and a new stainless steel chimney. Then everything must be installed to
code, inspected by the building inspector *and* your insurance company if
you want to be covered in case of a fire. Also you are basically required to
have a new EPA certified woodstove which emits cleaner smoke.

Then for the money saving part, you would need a free or cheap supply of
firewood. Then would need to buy a chainsaw and safety equipment (if you
want to saw safely) like; good boots, chaps, eye goggles, gloves, hard hat
(if felling), and ear plugs if a loud saw.

Also need to have a pick-up or trailer to haul the wood.

For splitting, I first cut all my wood, then rented a log splitter for $60 a
day. Or you can buy one for about $1,300.00.

A wood stove is a great "exercise" program. Installing stove, cutting and
hauling wood to truck, splitting wood, etc. A LOT of work! But I enjoy this
type of stuff and really liked calling my gas company and telling them to
disconnect my natural gas service(as I would be heating with wood this
winter).

I look at things for the long term. I am broke as can be after paying for
all this stuff, but several years from now, I'll have a lower cost of
living. Also I can do with a bit of exercise. I also plan to install a new
very efficient natural gas furnace and insulate my house better. I probably
will not be able to cut firewood, etc. when I get older, so might be a good
idea to have another source of heating if needed...

I moved into an all electric house 1976 in a low
cost electric area and had one year's heating
costs before I installed a wood stove. Figured
that it would take at least 5 years to recover all
the capital costs. It turned out that I recovered
all capital costs--stove cost, installation costs,
chainsaw, etc. in 3.5 years. I didn't dig them
out but as I remember capital costs were around
$900 and a cord of free firewood cost me an
average of about $25 for gathering it. After the
first 3.5 years my costs were about $75 per year
(3 cords) for heat. Took the stove out about 5
years ago because of my wife's asthma and changed
to gas. My December heating bill is now above
previous all year heating cost.

I wouldn't plan on recovery of capital costs in
3.5 years now, recovery in a 5-7 year period is
easily possible if one does all the installation
and buys modestly priced equipment and gets free wood.